About the Adelaide Fringe Poster Competition
We were born 58 years ago (although we don’t look a day over 25) and we’ve grown up to become the Southern Hemisphere’s largest open access arts festival!
For 31 magical days and nights each year we completely take over Adelaide, her surrounding suburbs and even some regional areas of South Australia. The city pulses with creativity in every nook and cranny! In 2019 Adelaide is set to come alive once again as we reach for the stars to create a Fringe bigger and brighter than ever before- it takes all sorts to create a Fringe!
The Adelaide Fringe Poster competition is as iconic as the Festival itself. Each year since the birth of the festival the Adelaide Fringe hero image has been a poster competition entry, with previous winners including artists such as Driller Jet Armstrong, Sue Ninham, Michael Atchison, Pro Hart, Jonathon Oxlade and Jennifer Rimbault.
Whether you are a beginner with a great idea or consider yourself a graphic design guru, or a visual artist we want to see your expression of what makes the Fringe so… well, Fringey! Not only will the winning image receive the massive exposure of becoming the symbol of Adelaide Fringe 2019, but the winning artist will also receive $3,000 cash prize, and free artist registration to present their own exhibition as part of the 2019 Adelaide Fringe.
Interested? We thought so! Check out the official 2019 poster design brief and details for submitting your artwork below.
The Adelaide Fringe is an Open Access festival; each year we celebrate thousands of diverse artists who perform in hundreds of glorious venues to the delight of hundreds of thousands of audience members. The Adelaide Fringe is a festival of the people, by the people, for the people. We are the biggest Arts Festival in the nation and growing every year. The Fringe delivers a whole month of summer festive fun across the city of Adelaide – people flock from all over the world to celebrate the joy of arts with us in the sunshine by day and under big starry skies by night.
During Fringe time, Adelaide transforms into a festival wonderland for everyone. Adelaide Fringe allows you to discover all sorts of performers in all sorts of places putting on shows across all sorts of art forms. Adelaide Fringe is for everyone … and it takes all sorts!
We are looking for a poster that captures the colourful, playful, inclusive and cheeky spirit of the Adelaide Fringe!
Hot Tips for Creating Your Design
- The winning design will need to demonstrate flexibility in a number of different ways. This includes being reproduced in different sizes as well in monochrome (black and white). The design must have the versatility to use in a number of creative applications, including t-shirts, posters, program booklets, banner signage and FringeTIX box offices.
- If you use any images you haven’t created yourself you must own the copyright for the images or have permission to use them in your design.
- If you're looking for some inspiration, you can view our past posters here.
- Remember to treat the poster brief as guidelines only. Thinking outside the box is relished and encouraged!
Submitting Your Design
To enter, complete the application form and upload your artwork at the link below. Alternatively you can send your artwork via firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Poster Competition' or mail your entry to Adelaide Fringe, 136 Frome Street, Adelaide SA 5000, however you MUST still complete the online application form.
(PLEASE NOTE- files over 10mb will be too large to be accepted by online application – if you experience any issues please provide via Dropbox link, WeTransfer or a similar link for us to download them).
Your original design may incorporate a range of materials and mediums, but your final entry must still be a two-dimensional representation of these ideas. The winner will be required to provide a layered Photoshop or InDesign version of the poster with a minimum resolution of 300DPI at A1 size (594x841mm) or a scalable vector/EPS file - please keep this in mind when creating your submission.
The 2019 Adelaide Fringe logo will be added by Adelaide Fringe to the winner's artwork, however if you wish to show how the logo will be incorporated into your design, you may download it as a JPG here or an EPS here.
Applications close at 5pm ACST, Monday 21 May 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
Terms and Conditions
- Entries must be received by 5pm, Monday 21 May 2018.
- Submissions that do not meet the entry deadline will not be accepted.
- The competition winner shall assign to Adelaide Fringe Inc. (“Adelaide Fringe”) in perpetuity all copyright in the image that is selected as the winning entry (“the image”).
- You warrant that you own the copyright in the image and/or parts that comprise the image and are able to unimpededly assign copyright in full to the Adelaide Fringe.
- Adelaide Fringe may at its absolute discretion use part or the entire image for any purpose and in any form or manner.
- Entry forms must provide complete contact information: your name, name of institution or design firm (if applicable), mailing address, telephone, and email. Incomplete information may cause your entry to be disqualified.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By submitting your entry to the Adelaide Fringe 2019 Poster Design Competition, you signify acceptance of all of the terms and conditions outlined here without exception.